Thursday, May 2, 2013

Kwan Um Fina

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A few days ago, Ocean Light Zen Center shared this Zen Master Seung Sahn quote on their Facebook page.
'Kwan um' means "perceive sound." This means perceive your true self. At the same time, perceiving world sound means perceiving that many, many beings are suffering. 
If you can hear this sound of suffering, then helping is both possible and necessary. That is the Bodhisattva Way. 
Helping other beings is our practice and our job. Correct practicing is not only attaining enlightenment - it's finding enlightenment's job. 
- Zen Master Seung Sahn (1927-2004)
The first part I've known for a few years but the rest (the important stuff...) was a reminder that I often forget my true work in this life.

A couple nights ago, I was in the bedroom playing with Fina, when she stopped and asked, with concern, "Papa, what sound?"

"I dunno. What sound?"

"Sounds like crying sound."

I didn't hear it, but it made me very happy that Fina did. I can't say that her hearing the suffering of the world had anything to do with my guidance or not, but she's certainly guiding me to find enlightenment's job, if for no other reason that an example to Fina and Cello.

No comments:

Post a Comment