Tuesday, April 24, 2012

photo-vid of the Cheongdo Bullfighting Festival



There's really no way to put a "Buddhist twist" on this to justify taking part in the festival without being full of bull, but being a Taurus, my ox-ilian nature couldn't resist this year.

I'd seen the bull-fighting on TV my first week in Korea, seven years ago, but hadn't found my way there yet. The festival is just a 40 minute bus ride through the mountains and around the "Persimmon Village" from our new house, so I finally got the chance.

Though they might end up with a little blood around their horns, there was no goring. They just butt heads for a few minutes until one suddenly backs off and runs around the ring a bit. None of them were hurt. And if they didn't want to engage, it was over, immediately. They were lead but not forced into battle.  The festival has a 1000 year history in the area. Its roots are in a game between local herdsmen, when their bulls would shove each other around, trying to establish grazing territory in the fields.

And honestly, I do find it an interesting contrast to the "ox herding" metaphor, so prominent in Korean Zen. Ox head-butting is more like a living metaphor for not following the path...

5 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph,

    First elephants and now bulls!
    Non-stop animal entertainment!

    No, seriously, I understand what you're saying about it being less cruel.....

    ...but cruelty isn't always the point.

    The point is that we as humans have no right to use animals for our pleasure like this.

    Besides which, I heard that it is NOT cruelty free.
    Bulls do die in Korean bullrings.
    And I understand that their horns are manipulated into unnatural shapes.
    I also believe, but can't be sure, that they are fed alcohol before fights.

    In any case, what are they fighting for?
    Where is the land they are fighting over?
    Or the mate?

    No, it is unnatural and unnecessary and re-enforces the idea that animals are simply tools for our enjoyment and gambling addictions.

    Sorry, couldn't enjoy today's post. (But love all the others!)

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Marcus.
      I don't really have much excuse for myself.

      When I first arrive, I said a little prayer that none of the bulls get hurt. The first ones that came out didn't even engage! I wondered if the prayer worked!


      Now, if I post about eating dog-soup before I leave Korea, then we really have a problem!

      Delete
  2. Hi mate!

    LOL! Cheers Joseph! Maybe your prayer did the trick!

    And of course eating dog is no better or worse than eating any other sentient beings! - Except that (as you know) dogs in Korea get beaten, tortured, burned, or electrocuted to death because people think the fear and adreneline makes the meat taste better! Awful.

    http://animalrightskorea.org/dog-meat-issue/current-situation-of-koreas-dog-meat-industry.html

    Anyway, enough of me and my bloody soapbox! I really ought to post here more when I have positive things to say! But then that would be every post! Your photos continue to astound me, petals and Fina! Amd blimey! Has there ever been a more photogenic child in this world?!

    Oh, by the way, can you remove the link to my short-lived blog? I started but I stopped again. I tend to get too "know-it-all" and preachy when I write! Can you tell?! LOL!

    Thanks again mate for your wonderful writing and pictures though - and for your continued friendship in the Dharma!

    :)

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are good, Marcus. I usually need a kick in the rear more than I need a high-five anyway!

      Actually, part of the reason I posred it was because some people thought it was a matador style bullfight. Maybe I down played it too much.

      Delete
    2. Your comments are good, Marcus. I usually need a kick in the rear more than I need a high-five anyway!

      Actually, part of the reason I posred it was because some people thought it was a matador style bullfight. Maybe I down played it too much.

      Delete