Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pratītyasamutpāda/conditioned genesis



Imasmim sati idam hoti. Imasuppada idam upajjati. Imasmim asati idam na hoti. Imassa nirodha idam nirujjhati.

When this exists, that comes to be; with the arising of this, that arises. When this does not exist, that does not come to be; with the cessation of this, that ceases.

-Gotama Buddha

Considering all phenomena are interconnected and dependent on preceding phenomena, and each moment is up to and infinite amount of moments in the making, the word "suddenly" suddenly lost any true meaning to me. "Suddenly" is a word I use a lot in my writing, it adds a nice dramatic touch, at times. I'll probably think twice about using it from now on...

And, no, this is not an opinion about suddenly enlightenment, although I may develop one, gradually!

1 comment: