Thursday, November 21, 2013

the non-duality of suffering

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A line from Seon Master Daehaeng's Dharma talk that I'd lost while while writing the last post suddenly returned to me as I crossed the street coming home from a student's house tonight.

I'm not scribing a perfect recitation of Chong Go Sunim's translation but in my own words/understanding, Seon Master Daehaeng taught us that there is not your suffering and my suffering, nor is the suffering of different people, different beings more or less. There is only suffering. We all suffer equally. Suffering is not dualistic. Because you suffer, I suffer. Because there is suffering we all suffer. We are all one. Therefore, we should do whatever we can to not breed more suffering but to cease it.

No comments:

Post a Comment