Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Grocery Store Mind

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Whenever I come across death in my travels, I take notice.

There's the awkward discomfort of being reminded of my inevitable fate, but there's also a feeling of compassion for the being recently separated from what was once its body.

Somehow, when I'm at the grocery store I usually don't get the same swell of compassion, occasionally but not usually. But why not? I should. I'm trying to.

I'm a bit numb when it comes to these things, but it probably comes down to a dualistic mind making beings into food the moment I cross the automatic doors of the grocery store, see everything wrapped, conveniently unrecognizable, tagged with a price.

I was reminded of this a few days ago as I noticed a single crab amongst the others, twitching on its icy death bed.

My mind slightly struggled between, "It looks delicious," and, "It looks sad."

Fortunately, for that day at least, "It's sad," won.



1 comment:

  1. In my experience, whenever I attend closely to the moment, both joy and sadness can arise - sometimes at the same time!

    ReplyDelete