Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wat Umong Suan Puthatham


October 28th, 2007

A friend who'd I'd become close with during my time in Daegu was in Chiang Mai, studying massage at ITM. She invited me to spend a few days with her, so I took the overnight bus from Bangkok and arrived in the morning. The tuk-tuk driver took me to a massage school way on the outskirts of the city, but they told me there was no one by that name at the school. Eventually, I was able to find a computer and looked through my emails and found that her school and guesthouse were way back, close to the centre of the city.

When I arrived, Lana suggested we go to Wat Umong, a 700 year old temple in the mountains outside of the city. I'd read about it in the Lonely Planet on the bus ride north, and actually wanted to go already. It's popular for its ancient meditation caves and chedi just behind them, but as we walked through the grounds, it was a group of forest monks tending to some cattle and dear that really impressed me. The whole place was absolutely gorgeous!














































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment