Wednesday, January 18, 2012

leaving Pokhara, Annapurna revealed


January 19th, 2008

I don't know which one woke me up, the thunderous rain, or the actual thunder rattling the windows through it...

I thought of the Korean guys I'd travelled here from Varanasi with, who'd left on their trek a couple days ago and I hoped they had good gear.

The thunder was massive, ricocheting off Annapurna for a double jolt. It was almost impossible to sleep.

Then the thought occurred to me, with all this rain falling, there probably won't be much water left in the sky for mist...

Around 5:30am, the rain stopped and I got up, had a cold shower, got everything ready, then hauled out my camera and climbed the stairs to the rooftop. I gazed out at mountains, faintly visible in the breaking dawn, but visible, for the first time in the four days that I've been here!

The bus to Kathmandu leaves just after sunrise, but as the dawn light slowly strengthened, the mountains became a little cleared, and I just had to look a little longer.

In the office, paying my tab, I expressed how frustrating it is that the mountains are finally uncovered but now I'm leaving. He said since I hadn't paid for the bus yet, I could still stay one more day and leave the next morning, but time was getting very limited, I have to be in Kalkuta in a week and there are still a few things I want to do before then. He called me a taxi to take me to the bus an I said goodbye.

I tried to catch as many peeks of the mountains as I could, but wasn't able to see much through the buildings. Then we arrived at the bus station, and just beyond was the wide open Annapurna range. It was still blue in the hue of dawn's light, but as I watch, the yellow glow of sunrise began to show on the 8091meter tip of Annapurna I, followed by the lesser but much more dramatic Manchapuchare, at a mere 6,993 meters.

I was in no hurry for the bus to arrive, as I watched the line of light slowly descend across the whole range. It was a powerful sight, as the clouds rolled and tumbled in the golden light against the snow covered faces of the Annapurna peaks, their edges tearing off and disappearing into the literally thin air.

Finally, I felt as though I could board the bus to Kathmandu at least somewhat satisfied that I'd seen the Annapurna rage. Kathmandu, I'll soon be seeing you!




























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment