Sunday, October 23, 2011

Monday Morning Blues; Everybody's Got To Change Sometime

Taj Mahal • Everybody Ought to Change Sometimes
There's a change in the ocean, change in the deep blue sea
Well, there's a change in my baby but there ain't never no change in me!
Everyboby, they ought to change sometimes 
You know, sooner or later, mama, you gonna end up in that lonesome ground

I usually try to post a different artist each week, though a few of my favorites have already made two or three posts. This time I decided to use last weeks song again, but Taj Mahal's lively version. Mostly because I really like how central the theme of change is to Buddha's teachings but it also got me to thinking about how the Buddha's timeless teachings have been kept alive, kept current through the centuries.

Through a long list of ancient teachers up to today's Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Pema Chodron, Mingyur Rinpoche, and many others, we have living personalities we can learn from, relate to, and sometimes even  meet, sort of like musicians who have kept the old songs alive for the next generations to be reminded of.

I like how Taj's rewording of the second line of the song points out a common delusion in our thinking. Of course, the double negative makes up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment