Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday Morning Blues; Captain Pinetar

Eric Surette • Captain Pinetar

On August 30th, one of my parents' oldest friends had an accident while playing on a trampoline with his son and broke his neck and injured his spinal cord.

While I was talking to my mom about it, he actually sent a message (via his daughter) from the hospital saying the doctors were able to repair his spinal cord and that they aren't sure how much of his motor function will return, but he was sure to add he can still sing!

Here is a song he performed about the friend my father came to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia with back in the Seventies, written by Bob Wallace.

Get well soon, Eric!

Captain Pinetar

I first met Pinetar Wonderbar when he came down East with Joe 
A viking ship in disguise just outside of Pubnico  
They had Tinkerbell the Lobster locked up down below
Hotcakes on the galley stove and many miles to go...

You can still hear stories about the day he came to shore
We seen him comin' up the bay three miles out or more
They eased 'er up alongside, didn't even spill their wine
When they found they couldn't hold her, they'd smoked the forward spring line

I thought I heard Captain Pinetar say beneath his breath
"I'd rather be a sailor, I believe that's all that's left."

The last time I saw Wonderbar he was sailin' in the pink
Castin' off from mooring line, he turned and smiled and winked
And he left us all there wond'rin' if it might have been a joke
Or some scientific reason in the words he never spoke? 

I thought I heard Captain Pinetar say beneath his breath
"I'd rather be a sailor, I believe that's all that's left."

No comments:

Post a Comment