Friday, August 20, 2010

siamese


Something I began noticing a while ago is that the more Buddhist books and blog posts I read, the more talks I listen to, or people I speak to, the more I notice that nearly every teaching seems to have another teaching somewhere else to contradict it.

For a while, I actually found this a little annoying. How would I ever know what to believe, what path to follow? How do you choose who to listen to? But then I also realized that both sides could be right (or wrong) together, at the same time. They didn't have to contradict each other, it's more a matter of finding the space between them, where words are unable to go.

9 comments:

  1. And when I can't hold that space it's usually because I need to have it one way. But that too could be contradictory... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Buddhism doesn't give us much to hold onto...

    Love your new masthead photo - Buddhism is like jumping over the edge of the cliff, without concern for the landing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Barry, I hadn't noticed that!
    With that in mind, looking at it again, the temple looks as if it's built on the edge of upturned knives as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The need to have things one way has caused a lot of suffering for me, both in my throat and in my ears! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Barry,
    Buddhism sure doesn't give you much of a chance to let up...
    Even in my dreams, I've started reminding myself of the precepts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what Wonhyo was famous for. All of his writings were explainations of how all the different forms of Buddhism were actually expressions of the same underlying oneness, which manifested differently to match peoples' different cultures, abilities, and ways of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting that it would have required that much writing...
    Perhaps, he had to put it in many different ways?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had - but without the Wisdom Eye. :-(

    I thought it looked like fingertips. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm, that's interesting imagery...
    I may try and sketch that!

    ReplyDelete